New Year is here! Let’s us start this new year on a sweet note. A fun to make recipe, shenga barfis. Made with roasted groundnuts mixed into melted jaggery and ghee. Now, what can go bad with that 🙂
Sankranti/Pongal planning has to start soon. This year the harvest festival is on the 14th of January. Make simple sweets like shenga unde, shenga chikki along with these shenga barfis. They will make your Sankranti/Pongal celebration special.
These shenga barfis can be cut into any shape, I have cut them into small squares. Small squares are ideal to distribute amongst friends and colleagues. Everyone can just grab a little barfi and help themselves with more.
The only thing to remember with these shenga barfis is to sauté the barfi mixture to correct consistency. If mixture is overheated, then barfis become chewy or if underheated it does not set. It should be just right. Having said that, it is hard to make them go wrong. Your instincts will guide you through, I assure you!
Once again, happy new year! Plan upcoming festivities with fervour of first festival of the year, Sankranti/Pongal. Enjoy!
More groundnut recipes on FOI. Of course choose from any sweets you like for this occasion along with these festival recipes.
- 200 gm roasted unsalted groundnuts yielding 1½ Cup ground coarse powder
- ¾ Cup to 1 Cup jaggery
- ¼ Cup + ½ Tbsp ghee
- 4-5 powdered cardamom/elaichi
- Pulse roasted groundnuts into a coarse powder
- Grate or soften jaggery
- In a pan, pour ghee and allow it to melt
- Add jaggery, let it melt into the ghee, mix well
- Add cardamom powder and mix well with ghee
- Tip in the groundnut powder, mix well
- Next add ½ Tbsp ghee
- Keep sauteing till mixture leaves pan, this takes around 2-3 minutes. You should be able to see a shine or glisten
- Pour into a greased pan, pat surface, let it cool for a few minutes
- Cut into mini barfis
- Lay these barfis out for your offerings and celebrations!
Do NOT overheat barfi mixture
Cut barfis into any desired shape
Make sure jaggery is not very dry, it should be soft and pure
Shenga Barfis Stepwise:
Keep sauteing till mixture leaves pan, this takes around 2-3 minutes. You should be able to see a shine or glisten