We all love instant recipes be it idlis or dosas. But instant recipes need to have the right balance to turn out to be tasty. Their fermented counterparts enjoy the time to rest and turn out to be light and airy. But adding flavourful things into a recipe like corn or spinach like this instant corn idli makes them taste so good!
Corn idli is made from corn rava (maize rava/cornmeal). This is easily available in grocery stores. Just like making rava idli, this instant corn idli is a specialty. It has yogurt added for moisture and light instant fermentation. The pop-in-the-mouth corn niblets (frozen/fresh) along with sweet raisins make them very unique in taste.
This recipe does not require a whole lot of planning especially if you have the base ingredients at your disposal. Corn is such a versatile ingredient, its sweet texture makes it blend into different kinds of dishes.
Try these corn cheddar cheese muffins Mexican style, or melt in the mouth spinach corn cheese sandwich. For the cold weather, try this potato corn chowder or this unique Mexican style cornbread. All corn based recipes in a single page from FOI.
Do try these breakfast recipes and more idli recipes coming up.
- ½ Cup corn rava/yellow cornmeal or polenta
- ½ Cup akki tari/rice rava/idli rava
- 1 Tbsp ghee
- ½ Tsp jeera
- ½ Tsp mustard
- A pinch of hing
- 1 Tsp urad dal
- 1 green chilli chopped
- 7-8 powdered black pepper
- 1¼ Cup yogurt
- 1 pinch baking powder
- ½ pinch baking soda
- ½ pinch turmeric
- ½ Cup corn
- ¼ Cup grated fresh coconut
- Salt to taste (3/4 Tsp~)
- Make tadka with ghee, jeera, mustard, hing, urad dal, green chilli
- Add corn rava and akki rava. Roast for few seconds
- Mix corn, grated coconut and raisins
- Sprinkle pepper powder, turmeric and salt. Turn off heat
- Once cooled, mix baking soda and baking powder
- Slowly add yogurt and mix well into a thick batter
- Pour into greased idli moulds
- Steam idlis for 12 minutes
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice
If you do not have cornmeal, add fine rava but still add corn to make it corn idli
Steam according to the time required to steam regular idlis in your idli maker. Mine requires 12 minutes~
Fresh coconut makes the idlis light ans extra tasty
Instant Corn Idli Stepwise:
Serve hot with chutney of your choice