A bowl of soup is food for the soul. Soups are very comforting and satisfying. Spinach soup is one of those soups which can be simply gulped down with some garlic bread on the side or just like that. It is creamy, thick and very delicious.
Imagine the warm soup going down your throat after a long day at work on a cold winter night. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead and make this creamy spinach soup 🙂
Not only do you get the warmth from the soup but also the essential nutrients from the goodness of these beautiful green leaves. Using fresh spinach to make this soup makes the soup retain the emerald green colour of the leaves.
It does not require a whole lot of flavouring at all, some simple black pepper and salt seasoning will do the trick. With my spinach dishes I usually love to add a pinch or two of nutmeg/jaiphal as it goes really well with the flavour of spinach.
You can even add a dash of cream to make it extra rich and creamier but milk also will do the trick. Milk mellows the flavour of spinach and gives it a rich smoothness. Enjoy this creamy spinach soup and here are more soups from FOI! Also do try other spinach recipes.
- 200 Gm or 2 Cup packed chopped spinach
- ½ Tbsp olive oil/oil/butter
- 1 chopped clove of garlic
- ½ Tbsp cornflour
- ¼ Cup whole/full cream milk
- Salt to taste
- ½ Tsp black pepper powder
- A pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ Tsp cayenne pepper (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped basil or ½ Tsp dry basil
- Water to adjust thickness of soup
- Wash spinach well and drain all water
- Heat oil and add chopped garlic. Saute till spinach wilts
- Grind with a hand blender till pureed, bring back to boil, adjust water, add around ½ Cup to start with
- Add ½ Tbsp corn flour in a bowl and mix well into a paste with little milk. Pour this into the soup
- Add ¼ Cup more milk, add salt, add ½ Tsp pepper powder, add a small pinch of ground nutmeg and cayenne pepper
- Add chopped basil (a small handful)
- Serve hot with garlic bread, add grated parmesan on top if desired
Add a dash of cream if you like towards the end
Blanch spinach leaves in boiling water for a minute and drain them instead of sauteing them in olive oil
Grind with a hand blender till pureed, bring back to boil, adjust water, add around 1/2 Cup to start with
Add 1/2 Tbsp corn flour in a bowl and mix well into a paste with little milk. Pour this into the soup
Add 1/4 Cup more milk, add salt, add 1/2 Tsp pepper powder, add a small pinch of ground nutmeg and cayenne pepper