It is a fact that most people love chaats be it South or North India. Like so many varieties in different kinds of dishes all over India, chaats are also prepared and eaten in various ways. It is savoured by everyone and making it, in itself is a big celebration amongst many households. Even parties take place featuring chaat as the main theme. This sev puri chaat is a featured item on most menus.
Sev puri chaat has crisp papdis or flattened pani puri’ puris. Of course the main feature of any chaat is the sweet and spicy chutneys. They make chaats really tangy and all the lipsmacking goodness comes from there.
Sev puri chaat is then topped with boiled and roughly chopped potatoes. All the masala settles on this potato and the crunchy puri makes it the entire package. To finish off lots of sev and chopped coriander are added on top with dollops of thick sweet curd/yogurt if desired.
In the interest of health it is best to prepare chaats at home. It is safe and you can freely eat a couple of extra puris or three or four, okay, let’s say a few more! That settles it! Here I have also used some salted biscuits as the base along with puris, a play on sev puri chaat.
Try more chatpata chaat recipes from FOI, masala puri, dahi papdi chaat and peanut chaat. Also available recipe on FOI is this whole wheat papdi. Try and you will definitely come back for more.
- 20 whole wheat papdis or 20 cheese thins/ or salted biscuits like Monaco or Ritz*
- ½ boiled potato
- 1 finely chopped tomato
- 1 finely chopped onion
- Chaat masala to sprinkle
- ½ Cup green/pudina chutney
- ¼ Cup sweet chutney
- Red chilli powder to sprinkle
- Little lemon juice
- ¼ Cup pomegranate kernels
- Lots of sev (as required :))
- Assemble all ingredients, boiled and roughly chopped potato, pomegranate kernels, sev, chopped onion and tomato
- Also keep sweet chutney and pudina chutney
- To make sev puri keep a few papdi or a few salted biscuits onto a plate
- Place a piece or two of boiled potato on each papdi or biscuit
- Sprinkle red chilli powder
- Add some chopped onions on top
- Sprinkle chaat masala all over
- Next add little sweet chutney all over
- Chopped tomatoes can go on next
- Add some pudina chutney on all puris
- Squeeze on some lemon juice
- Drop some pomegranate kernels on the plate
- Top with loads of sev, you should now see only sev on top
- Finally garnish with chopped coriander and some more pomegranate pearls
- Serve immediately!
As with any chaat, add chutneys as per your taste
Dot with small spoonfuls of curd/yogurt if desired
You can also use flattened pani puri'puris!
Sev Puri Chaat Stepwise:
Assemble all ingredients, boiled and roughly chopped potato, pomegranate kernels, sev, chopped onion and tomato
Also keep sweet chutney and pudina chutney
To make sev puri keep a few papdi or a few salted biscuits onto a plate
Place a piece or two of boiled potato on each papdi or biscuit
Sprinkle red chilli powder and salt
Add some chopped onions on top
Sprinkle chaat masala all over
Next add little sweet chutney all over
Chopped tomatoes can go on next
Add some pudina chutney on all puris
Squeeze on some lemon juice
Drop some pomegranate kernels on the plate
Top with loads of sev, you should now see only sev on top
Finally garnish with chopped coriander and some more pomegranate pearls