When people think of porridge they are not very excited about it and if it is made of oats it might further drive them away. Oat is a cereal grain rich in dietary and soluble fibre and is known to lower bad cholesterol. Oatmeal or porridge need not be boring or tasteless. If it is made the right way it can be very tasty.
Do not buy the microwaveable variety instead buy regular unrefined whole bran oatmeal. Make porridge in milk, it will be very tasty and creamy. Adding in a handful of toasted nuts spikes up the health quotient of you oatmeal. Oatmeal or porridge oats are best for making porridge whereas old fashioned rolled oats can be used for making oats upma, cereal bars, crisps etc.
- 80 Gm or scant 1 Cup porridge oats or oatmeal
- 550 Ml or 2¼ Cups~ whole milk
- ¼ Tsp ground black pepper
- ½ Tbsp butter (optional)
- 2 Tbsp golden raisins
- 1 sliced banana to serve
- Little orange marmalade
- Honey to squeeze on top
- 5-6 broken pecan halves
- 5-6 broken walnut halves
- 5-6 broken or slivered unpeeled almonds
- In a pan, lightly toast the broken nuts till light golden
- In a thick bottomed saucepan or milkpan heat milk on low heat
- When it just scalds (just before it boils), add butter and black pepper powder and mix well
- Add in the oatmeal and lightly mix with a fork
- Add in golden raisins
- Keep heating on low flame till the oatmeal thickens. Let it not become very thick it will turn sticky and lumpy
- Serve immediately with a generous sprinkling of toasted nuts on top, arrange some sliced bananas, add a little orange marmalade and squeeze over honey. Perfect porridge within minutes!
Allow 40 Gm of oatmeal per person that is just a little less than half a cup
Adding butter removes stickiness from the porridge, a little butter is good along with the fibre. A little butter hurts no one, avoid it if you are on a diet or are medically advised not to eat butter or are vegan
If you are vegan, make with water instead of milk and skip butter
Use semi-skimmed milk if you want, whole milk adds creaminess
Add any kind of dry nuts you like, cashews, only almonds anything you have on hand, pitted dates will taste very good
Add sliced strawberries if you like
Add any other kind of jam, mixed fruit, strawberry etc
Adding black pepper powder acts as a seasoning and gives a savoury touch to porridge
Add some sugar if you like while making oatmeal but adding honey and fruits on top are healthier options to sugar
Keep heating on low flame till the oatmeal thickens. Let it not become very thick it will turn sticky and lumpy
Serve immediately with a generous sprinkling of toasted nuts on top, arrange some sliced bananas, add a little orange marmalade and squeeze over honey. Perfect porridge within minutes!