As I mentioned in my post, bharwa karela posted a few days back, karela and lauki are one the most used vegetables in India. They are staples, nutritious and healthy. But how do we disguise these vegetables in this age of fast food seeking people. A simple lauki sabzi or lauki dal will not sell and it will remain as cooked. Lauki thepla or paratha is one easy way to hide lauki and kids will love it! By the way, this is healthy recipe #5 in this series.
Knead usual chapathi dough with grated lauki and here I have added roasted ground groundnuts. It enriches the flavour and it goes very well with lauki. Lauki has a soft velvetty texture and groundnuts impart nuttiness and texture to these delicious lauki thepla. Feel free to add jeera, ajwain by slightly pounding them.
Lauki thepla or paratha can be packed for lunch or taken away on picnics. Similar recipes include methi thepla, beetroot paratha, palak paratha, pudina lacchha paratha, tomato paratha, carrot paratha etc. Wow, so many to choose from! Try more lauki based recipes, sorekayi dosa, lauki halwa, lauki idli etc.
- 2 Cups whole wheat flour/atta
- 2 Tbsp ground roasted groundnut powder
- Salt to taste
- 1 pinch hing/asafoetida
- ½ Tsp black pepper powder
- 200 gm grated lauki or 1 Cup packed
- Oil to knead dough
- In a bowl, take the whole wheat flour/atta
- Add salt to taste and sprinkle hing/asafoetida
- Powdered groundnuts can go in next
- Add 2 Tsp oil
- Next add grated lauki
- Sprinkle black pepper powder
- Start mixing everything well
- Knead into a dough with required water
- Apply oil, knead well
- Cover and set aside
- To make paratha or thepla, fold into triangles
- Roll into a chapathi/thepla/paratha
- Roast with oil on both side and serve!
Adding roasted grou powder enhances the taste
You can also add some jeera and ajwain to the dough by pounding them lightly for added flavour
Lauki Thepla Stepwise:
In a bowl, take the whole wheat flour/atta
Add salt to taste and sprinkle hing/asafoetida
Powdered groundnuts can go in next
Add 2 Tsp oil
Next add grated lauki
Sprinkle black pepper powder
Start mixing everything well
Knead into a dough with required water
Apply oil, knead well
Cover and set aside
To make paratha or thepla, fold into triangles
Roll into a chapathi/thepla/paratha
Roast with oil on both side and serve!