I have not met a single soul who does not like ice cream especially vanilla ice cream. It has to be one of the most eaten, desired and versatile desserts in the world. Make ice cream at home without worries of added preservatives, artificial flavours and colours. This recipe does not involve any cooking at all. There is no need of making a custard for this recipe. The most important thing is to keep all ingredients and your ice cream container chilled and cold at all times to prevent crystal formation and solidfication during churning/blending.
I have used my ice cream machine to churn the ice cream mixture. But it can be very easily churned with a simple everyday use electric hand blender which I will describe below. It is a little extra effort when using an electric blender but worth it nonetheless. I do not have to mention the uses of vanilla ice cream, it is super tasty just plain, or with chocolate brownies or simply whipped up into a milkshake like musk melon vanilla milkshake or this decadent peach and blueberry crumble. Oh boy! Super creamy vanilla ice cream! Enjoy!
- 1½ Cup or 350 Ml~ whole milk/full cream milk
- 2 Cups or 500 Ml~ double/thick cream
- ½ Cup sugar
- 2 Tsp good vanilla (not essence but extract)
- ¼ Tsp of vanilla bean paste (optional)
- Pour cold milk in a mixing bowl
- Add sugar and mix till sugar is completely dissolved
- Cover and chill this mixture for an hour
- Pour in 2 Cups of cream
- Using a hand whisk , whisk lightly to make it light and fluffy
- Add both kinds of vanilla. Mix well
- Chill this mixture in refrigerator for 2 hours If you have an ice cream machine, start the ice cream machine. Pour ice cream mixture through the chute depending on specification of your machine. Make sure the container is chilled and frozen. Refer to *Notes* in recipe card if using an electric hand blender
- Let it churn for 30-35 minutes or till ice cream is done, light and fluffy
- Freeze for 10-12 hours or overnight in a freezer safe container or an old ice cream container
Use a whole vanilla bean pod and scrape out the seeds if you like. Vanilla bean paste serves the same purpose, you can actually see the vanilla bean seeds. Oh the joy!
Make sure there do not exist any crystals before freezing ice cream
Do NOT disturb after the final mix, let it freeze continuously for 8-10 hours till set
Use skimmed/semi-skimmed milk and lower fat cream but the resultant mix will not be smooth and creamy but it is possible to make it
Adjust sweetness as per your taste. I do not like my ice cream to be over sweet
Chill this mixture in refrigerator for 2 hours If you have an ice cream machine, start the ice cream machine. Pour ice cream mixture through the chute depending on specification of your machine. Make sure the container is chilled and frozen. Refer to *Notes* in recipe card if using an electric hand blender