More often than not, we throw away nutritional leaves or stems that we buy with the vegetables. Radish leaves, beet greens, peels of vegetables etc all get thrown away. Ensure you always use organic vegetables so you can actually use these tender leaves and stems. This aloo mooli saag is a great way of using tender and fresh radish leaves.
Aloo Mooli saag serves as a side dish with roti/phulka. I had served aloo mooli saag with red rice akki roti. With some simple spice powders like lal mirch, amchur powder you can make a quick and simple sabzi to go on the side. You can choose to parboil the potatoes and then dice them which will hasten the cooking process.
Radish leaves are rich in minerals and dietary fibre making it an excellent ingredient to consume and not just throw it away. The leaves should be tender and should not have white spots. Try more sabzi recipes from FOI, aloo jeera, aloo palak, gobhi matar. More recipes where we use the part of a vegetable which we generally discard, methi stalks chutney, heerekayi sippe chutney etc.
- 1 bunch or ½ Cup chopped mooli leaves
- 1 diced potato
- ½ Tbsp oil
- ¼ Tsp red chilli powder
- ¼ Tsp turmeric
- ½ Tsp amchur powder
- ½ Tsp jeera
- Salt to taste
- Pick and clean the radish leaves
- Wash the leaves in water and drain
- Boil water and plunge radish leaves, leave it for a 20-30 seconds
- In a pan, heat oil and splutter jeera
- Sprinkle hing, red chilli powder and turmeric
- Add diced potato and saute, cover and cook till soft
- Season with salt, sugar and amchur powder
- Chop the radish leaves and add to the aloo
- Mix well and let it steam for 1 more minute
- Serve with chapathi/roti!
Make sure the radish leaves are tender and fresh
This sabzi can also be made with sweet potato
Aloo Mooli Saag Stepwise:
Pick and clean the radish leaves
Wash the leaves in water and drain
Boil water and plunge radish leaves, leave it for a 20-30 seconds
In a pan, heat oil and splutter jeera
Sprinkle hing, red chilli powder and turmeric
Add diced potato and saute, cover and cook till soft
Season with salt, sugar and amchur powder
Chop the radish leaves and add to the aloo
Mix well and let it steam for 1 more minute
Serve with chapathi/roti!